ITALIAN MERINGUE STRAW HAT
BY DANIELLE MAUPERTUIS
THE STEP BY STEP
Recipe for 1 hat 30 cm in diameter.
Preparation time: 2 hours + setting time.
Cooking time: 20-25 minutes.
- a pan
- a whip
- a spatula
- an electric mixer
- a small saucepan
- a bowl
1. ITALIAN MERINGUE
YUMGO White 150 gr
Unrefined caster sugar 300 gr
Water 75 gr
1. In a heavy-bottomed pan, cook the water and sugar over medium heat. Avoid mixing with a whisk or a spatula.
2. When the temperature reaches 110C, start to whip YUMGO White with a mixer at high speed.
3. When the temperature reaches 118C, reduce the speed of the mixer and slowly pour the sugar syrup over the YUMGO White, avoiding the side of the mixer.
2. MUSSELINE CREAM
Coconut, almond or soy milk 500 ml
Unrefined caster sugar 100 gr
Maizena 60 gr
YUMGO Yolk 100 gr
Plant based margarine 60 + 180 gr
1. Heat the plant based milk in a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Reserve about 100 g to add to the rest of the ingredients.
2. In a bowl, pour the sugar, cornstarch, YUMGO Yolk. Add the reserved 100 gr of plant based milk and whisk until you obtain a smooth consistency without lumps.
3. Pour the boiling plant based milk over the previous appliance, mix. Return everything to the saucepan and cook over moderate heat, whisking. Remove from heat as soon as it boils. Incorporate 60 gr of plant based margarine, mix and pour into a bowl.
4. Leave to cool.
5. Place the 180 gr of plant based margarine in a bowl and soften it using an electric mixer.
Gradually incorporate the cooled cream into the plant based margarine, blowing it well.
6. Keep cool.
3. VICTORIA BISCUIT
Flour 400 gr
Castor sugar 240 gr
Coconut, almond or soy milk 400 gr
Rapeseed oil 160 gr
Vanilla essence 2 tsp
1. Place all the ingredients in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil, whisking continuously.
2. Pass through a colander and set aside.
1. Preheat the oven to 190 C.
2. Mix all the ingredients with a mixer until you obtain a smooth dough.
3. Line 2 baking sheets 34 x 40cm with baking paper. Pour in the biscuit and distribute evenly - 5mm thick - using a spatula.
4. Bake the cookie at 190 C for 20-25 minutes.
5. Insert a toothpick in the center of the biscuit and check that it comes out without any trace of biscuit.
6. Let cool and transfer to freezer for at least ½ hour to facilitate cutting.
For the base of the hat:
Cut a cookie 30 cm in diameter, spread a layer of mousseline cream. Cover with a 25cm diameter cookie, cut the beveled edge and cover with a thin layer of mousseline cream.
For the top of the hat:
Line a bowl 15 cm in diameter, 7 cm deep, with cling film.
Alternate layers of cream and cookies cut to size of bowl.
Transfer to the freezer.
Unmold the bowl, cover with a thin layer of mousseline cream.
Arrange the meringue using a “caned” nozzle, pass lightly with a blowtorch.
Place the top of the hat on the base and finish with a decoration of marzipan and fruit.
To add a touch of freshness, scatter seasonal fruits between the layers of cream and biscuit.
Enjoy and happy Mother's day!